Sunday, June 10, 2012

My lunch: June 11, 2012

My lunch is pretty much the same as Chip's, but I get yogurt instead of a brownie (more protein, plus Chip hates yogurt), and raspberries instead of an apple (tastier, plus Chip hates raspberries).

Life is good here in the VL household.  After a year at a job I didn't so much care for, I landed an awesome job at an amazing company, and I start tomorrow.  All the pets (3 cats and 2 dogs) are happy and healthy, and we have a foster greyhound too.  Chip is in town for the next few weeks, and we've been enjoying a lot of time together.  We've both been doing CrossFit at a box downtown, and it's been amazing for both of us.  I've lost about 20 pounds since October, and feel fantastic.  I'd like to maintain now, and have really upped my protein consumption to help with that.  And I'm still running 30+ miles a week, since my running buddy is an Australian Kelpie, after all!

Those of you who are familiar with CrossFit are probably familiar with the paleo diet.  Don't worry...I haven't gone all caveman yet.  The owner of our box loves to rib me for being vegetarian, and he comments that vegetarian athletes could be even better if they'd just eat meat, but I don't plan to start!  I can get plenty of plant-based protein, and while it's not "paleo," it seems to work for me.  I admit, though, that all the paleo talk has worn off on me a bit, and I've gotten a few recipes from CrossFit friends.  You'll see at least one later this week (spinach, strawberry, and walnut salad), and might notice a few differences in lunches now compared to a few months ago, but I promise...I'm still the same old vegetarian!



Fried rice with organic tofu and organic broccoli, Chobani blood orange Greek yogurt, raspberries, and a salad with organic lettuce, organic spinach, organic carrot, plum tomato, and walnuts.

3 comments:

  1. I've had the paleo chat from several friends - what they don't realize is our ancestors probably didn't have the resources to have meat every day as the paleo diet now favours. We probably did a lot more fruit and roots than is called for.

    I like the idea of eliminating processed carbohydrate, but for me, staying veg is where it's at. Interestingly enough, since giving up meat for good, my cardio endurance is way up. Strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    I've been following your blog for quite a while now and I just wanted to say thank you. It's really inspiring and I love reading your posts and looking at your pictures. I've recently had my own bento boxes imported from the US (I live in Germany) and since then lunches have been a lot more fun. I often look at your entries to get vegetarian lunch ideas.
    You are my lunchbox role model. :-) Hope you keep this blog up for a long time!
    Take care,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome..

    beautiful blog!
    i am new to the whole vego world...this is so much help to keep me on track!

    it's the only way.
    xxo

    http://www.emmaobarnett.com

    ReplyDelete