Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chip's lunch: August 9, 2010

I spent some time gardening this weekend. We've got a watermelon growing, along with zucchini, green beans, a red pepper, and tons of Roma tomatoes. I bought some grape tomatoes at the farmers' market this weekend, and now we're swimming in tomatoes. I tried to think of a good dish that includes tomatoes, and I came up with bruschetta. Chip insisted on buying this whole wheat bread, and while it's delicious, it's worthless for sandwiches. I was glad to be able to use some of the bread and many of the tomatoes.

I just made up the topping myself. I used about 15 grape tomatoes, diced, and threw in about a teaspoon of very finely chopped onion. In a separate bowl, I whisked together about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, plus a tiny clove of crushed garlic, some sea salt, and black pepper. I added the tomatoes and onion to the liquid, and then mixed in some fresh chopped basil from our garden. It looks and smells amazing. The photo doesn't do the beautiful tomatoes justice.



Organic local (ingredients and production) whole wheat bread from the farmers' market, bruschetta topping (organic grape tomatoes, CSA onion, organic garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil from our garden), organic Sultana golden raisins, organic dried cranberries, homemade lentil soup, and an organic Braeburn apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment